Nunapitchuk is located on the both banks of the Johnson River, 22 miles northwest of Bethel in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It is an Eskimo village first listed in the 1939 U.S. Census with a population of 121. The community was incorporated as a second class city in 1969. During the 1970 U.S. Census, Nunapitchuk and the nearby villages of Atmautluak and Kasigluk were enumerated as “Akolmiut.”
Thanks to funding received from the Denali Commission, a new bulk fuel tank farm and automated, fuel-efficient power plant was built in Kasigluk, along with three 100kW wind turbines. Power is provided to Nunapitchuk via an electric intertie to Kasigluk.