Chevak is located on the north bank of the Niglikfak River, 17 miles east of Hooper Bay in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. Eskimos have inhabited the region for thousands of years. Chevak is also known as New Chevak because residents inhabited another village called Chevak before 1950. “Old” Chevak, on the north bank of the Keoklevik River, 9 miles east of Hooper Bay, was abandoned because of flooding from high storm tides. The name Chevak refers to “a connecting slough,” on which “Old” Chevak was situated. The new site was first reported by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1948. A post office was established in 1951. The City government was incorporated in 1967.
Work is completed on new power generation facilities, including a new, fully automated, fuel-efficient, modular-style, diesel power plant, a new bulk fuel tank farm (for AVEC) and four new wind turbines that became operational in 2010. A separate community tank farm was also built.
The new power plant and tank farm
The four new wind turbines
The old power plant