Alakanuk is a Yup’ik word meaning “wrong way,” aptly applied to a village on this maze of watercourses. The village was first reported by G.R. Putnam of the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey in 1899. It was originally settled by a Yup’ik shaman named Anguksuar and his family. A Catholic mission school was built near the village. A post office was established in 1946. In 1948, the school was relocated to St. Mary’s, and many families moved from the old school site to Alakanuk. It incorporated as a second-class city in 1969. A new power plant and bulk fuel tank farm were built in Emmonak, along with four 100 kW wind turbines and a tieline between Alakanuk and Emmonak. The power plant in Emmonak was energized and now provides power to Alakanuk through the electric tieline. A backup power module was installed in Alakanuk that can be turned on if there’s an emergency power outage.
Alakanuk post office.
Tank farm repair photos: