Wind Turbine Technician
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving residents in 58 locations throughout rural Alaska with its headquarters in Anchorage, AK. The communities that AVEC serves receive power via small, isolated grids that utilize diesel generation and renewable sources. AVEC serves the rural Alaska communities with 11,513 meters, 515 miles of distribution line.
The cooperative offers an excellent benefit package and salary will be commensurate with experience. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Contact Alaska Village Electric Cooperative for more information.
Position: Wind Turbine Technician
Location: Anchorage, AK
Maintain AVEC’s fleet of wind turbines; perform preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs and modifications to wind turbine generators; Ensure functionality of control & communications with wind systems; assists with integration of wind turbine equipment and subsystems with diesel power plants; provide training to AVEC field staff on basic servicing and maintenance of wind turbines; perform all other duties as required for success of the department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain AVEC’s fleet of mainly Northern Power System Northwind 100 A and B model and EWT models wind turbines in remote rural Alaskan villages. Maintenance of future models or replacements will be expected as equipment needs or infrastructure changes.
- Perform preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs and modifications to all wind turbines within the AVEC system as required.
- Ensure functionality of controls and communications between applicable wind systems and generation equipment.
- Assist with integration between wind systems and diesel power plant modules.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Two years of applicable utility experience of similar complexity.
- One year minimum wind related experience or education preferred.
- Forklift Certification (or the ability to become immediately certified) and two years of forklift experience required.
- DOT Hazardous Material Shipping Training (49CFR) required.
- CPR and First Aid certified is preferred.
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License is required.
- Employee must be insurable by the Cooperative insurance company at standard insurance rates, the individual must maintain a driving record during all periods of employment which permits insurability at standard insurance rates, and the individual must be willing to consent to release of information regarding his/her driving record on an annual basis.
- MSDS certification/training is preferred.
- Advanced Service Technician Certification for each wind model owned/in operation withing AVEC system. AVEC can provide this training if necessary.
Skills and Abilities
- Shows concern for quality, accuracy and completeness of own work and those who they work with
- Shows willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques to improve department or the cooperative
- Creates opportunities or minimizes potential problems by anticipating an preparing for these in advance
- Fulfills commitments made to peers, co-workers and supervisors
- Proficient in use of computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Possess and exhibit the ability and desire to provide prompt, courteous and reliable services to the Cooperative’s internal and external customers.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize multiple conflicting priorities and projects.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to write grammatically correct business correspondence, procedures and routine reports.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures manuals.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, management, cooperative members and external agencies.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- May be exposed to adverse weather conditions, cold and icy conditions.
- Use of personal protective equipment required.
- Frequently stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms (often overhead); climb and balance on ladders and stairs; stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 70lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move more than 10lbs. using care to prevent serious injury.
- Frequent use of hands and fingers to feel objects and/or handle materials, tools and equipment.
- Frequent use of keyboard, mouse and monitor to process data
Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and background check are required.
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job.
AVEC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
Please send a completed AVEC application to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 907-312-7585
- Until Filled