Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving residents in 58 locations throughout rural Alaska with its headquarters in Anchorage, AK. The communities that AVEC serves receive power via small, isolated grids that utilize diesel generation and renewable sources. AVEC serves the rural Alaska communities with 11,513 meters, 515 miles of distribution line.
The cooperative offers an excellent benefit package and salary will be commensurate with experience. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Contact Alaska Village Electric Cooperative for more information.
Position: Warehouse Worker
Location: Anchorage, AK
This position will provide support to Operations and assist with all warehouse activities to include receiving, storage and issuing of construction and maintenance materials, equipment and safety equipment in the headquarters warehouse; Maintain warehousing facility in a safe, orderly fashion; Maintain accurate record of material receipts, issues and turn-ins; Participate in monthly inventory closures; Perform all other duties as required for success of the department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides support to Operations material requirements. Primary role is to ship equipment and materials to Villages.
- Tracks outgoing freight to assigned Villages and when covering for other Villages. Priority shipments require follow up with air carriers once airline and flight times are determined. This includes 2nd carriers in hub to village. Priority shipments also require keeping all those involved (Field Personnel, Operations Manager, Warehouse Supervisor, any other Operations Personnel) up to date on the shipping status. Follow up on regular freight needs to happen as determined by Operations Manager, Warehouse Supervisor, and other Operations Personnel involved.
- Ensures materials are stored for easy accessibility and that work area(s) are clean and safe, eliminating hazards as appropriate.
- Assists with periodic, monthly and annual inventory of materials.
- Inspects materials, verifies and counts materials received. Ensures that paperwork is complete, accurate and on time. Submits paperwork to appropriate personnel in a timely fashion.
- Complies with all aspects of OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) standards applicable with job requirements, training and preforms safety checks regularly, as needed or as directed.
- Assists with vendor pickup and deliveries; marks incoming materials with stock numbers and places in proper locations.
- Assists in coordination with purchasing staff to ensure inventory and items needs for upcoming/ongoing projects are stocked.
- Ensures the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) records are up-to-date and compliant for all applicable inventory or items being shipped to the field.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Two years of applicable warehousing experience of similar complexity.
- Experience operating a 1–2-ton truck including proper loading, tie down and unloading techniques preferred.
- Forklift Certification (or the ability to become immediately certified) and two years of forklift experience required.
- DOT Hazardous Material Shipping Training (49CFR) required.
- CPR and First Aid certified is preferred.
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License is required.
- Employee must be insurable by the Cooperative insurance company at standard insurance rates, the individual must maintain a driving record during all periods of employment which permits insurability at standard insurance rates, and the individual must be willing to consent to release of information regarding his/her driving record on an annual basis.
- MSDS certification/training is preferred.
- OSHA certification/training is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Possess and exhibit the ability and desire to provide prompt, courteous and reliable services to the Cooperative’s internal and external customers.
- Knowledgeable of Alaska’s statewide air cargo system and transportation logistics pertaining to rural Alaska.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize multiple conflicting priorities and projects.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to write grammatically correct business correspondence, procedures and routine reports.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Possess analytical and math skills to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percentages and to apply these concepts practically to situations.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedures manuals and shipping regulations.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, management, cooperative members and external agencies.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in use of computer programs including Microsoft Suite.
- Proficient in materials record keeping and working with computerized record keeping methods and reporting functions.
- High degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities.
- Work is performed inside the warehouse and outside in the warehouse yard.
- May use company vehicle to pick up and make deliveries.
- May be exposed to adverse weather conditions, wet surfaces and icy conditions.
- May operate on or around heavy equipment.
- Use of personal protective equipment may be required.
- Frequently stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms (often overhead); climb and balance on ladders and stairs; stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50lbs. using care to prevent serious injury.
- Frequent use of hands and fingers to feel objects and/or handle materials, tools and equipment.
- Frequent use of keyboard, mouse and monitor to process data
Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and background check are required.
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job.
AVEC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
- Until Filled