Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving 58 villages in Alaska, is seeking a Maintenance Technician.
Position: Maintenance Technician
Location: Anchorage, AK
This position will organize, assist, direct and perform construction work on-site required to serve member villages with electrical energy through a diesel generation and distribution system. Instruct power plant operators during the operations and maintenance period in use of equipment, methods and safe practices involved in construction. Correct operational problems and perform maintenance and repair on the distribution system and power plants. Maintain good relations with the village council and member-owners and build their understanding and confidence in AVEC’s value, mission and goals.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform complex maintenance skills in major overhauls and repairs, replacement of parts, assemblies and preventative maintenance, such as dismantling, examining and replacing defective parts as necessary, fabricate or improvise temporary replacement.
- Repair and perform necessary corrective and preventive maintenance to the power plant building, fuel tank farm and distribution systems.
- Be capable of general familiarity and perform elementary repairs to electrical distribution systems.
- Perform inspections, maintenance and major modifications, handle complex troubleshooting and repair situations and perform complete major overhauls without outside assistance involving diesel engines from 25 to 1,000 hp and regulated generators from 15 to 750 KW.
- May be required to assist in construction and engineering projects.
- Repair on/off road mobile equipment used in support of AVEC’s projects.
- Assists in the inspection of village systems and is alert and reports safety hazards to the Utility Board, Plant Operator or AVEC staff and corrects as soon as possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent)
Experience: 2+ Years of Diesel and Electrical experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Reliable, dependable and capable of working with minimum supervision
- Knowledgeable about safety rules and requirements for the trade
- Willing and able to work in remote areas of Alaska
- Ability to work with multicultural and multilingual consumers and individuals
- Resourceful in using available equipment and in facing rough terrain and adverse weather conditions
- Able to extend and reach hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Able to apply pressure to an object with the fingers and palm
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Shows willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques to improve department or the cooperative.
- Creates opportunities or minimizes potential problems by anticipating an preparing for these in advance
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding a “we versus them” attitude
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
For a full job description, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AVEC provides a stellar benefit package and a competitive salary, salary is DOE. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening are required.
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Until Filled