Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving 58 villages in Alaska, is seeking a Maintenance Technician.
Position: Maintenance Technician
Location: Anchorage, AK
This position will organize, assist, direct and perform construction work on-site required to serve member villages with electrical energy through a diesel generation and distribution system. Instruct power plant operators during the operations and maintenance period in use of equipment, methods and safe practices involved in construction. Correct operational problems and perform maintenance and repair on the distribution system and power plants. Maintain good relations with the village council and member-owners and build their understanding and confidence in AVEC’s value, mission and goals.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform complex maintenance skills in major overhauls and repairs, replacement of parts, assemblies and preventative maintenance, such as dismantling, examining and replacing defective parts as necessary, fabricate or improvise temporary replacement.
- Repair and perform necessary corrective and preventive maintenance to the power plant building, fuel tank farm and distribution systems.
- Perform inspections, maintenance and major modifications, handle complex troubleshooting and repair situations and perform complete major overhauls without outside assistance involving diesel engines from 25 to 1,000 hp and regulated generators from 15 to 750 KW.
Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent)
Experience: 2+ Years of Diesel and Electrical experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate clearly and accurately orally and in writing
- Shows concern for quality, accuracy and completeness of own work and those who they work with
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to establish trust and credibility internally and externally
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Shows willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques to improve department or the cooperative
- Professionalism and ability to adapt in diverse environment to maintain a positive work environment.
- Creates opportunities or minimizes potential problems by anticipating an preparing for these in advance
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding a “we versus them” attitude
- Knowledge of employment and benefit laws and regulations
- Fulfills commitments made to peers, co-workers and supervisors
- Skills required to interpret laws and regulations and to formulate compliance policies and practices
- Proficient in use of computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
AVEC provides a stellar benefit package and a competitive salary, salary is DOE. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening are required.
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Until Filled