Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving 58 villages in Alaska, is seeking a Lineman.
Location: Anchorage, AK
This position will organize, direct and perform construction work on-site required to serve member villages with electrical energy through a diesel generation and distribution system. Instruct villagers during the construction period in: using the equipment, methods and safe practices involved in construction. Correct operational problems and perform maintenance and repair on the distribution system and power plants. Maintain good relations with the village council and member-owners and build their understanding and confidence in AVEC’s value, mission and goals.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Installs and retires power distribution systems (de-energized only). No work performed on energized systems.
- Corrects operational problems and performs preventive maintenance and repair on distribution systems and diesel plants (if possible) while on construction projects or as assigned.
- Instructs workers on proper use of all equipment, material, handling of cable, and of safe work practices.
- Prepares necessary trip reports on assigned projects and other general reports as necessary.
- Works in a safe manner and insures the property of others or other Cooperative equipment is not damaged.
Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent and successful completion of a lineman apprentice program; required
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate clearly and accurately orally and in writing
- Shows concern for quality, accuracy and completeness of own work and those who they work with
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to establish trust and credibility internally and externally
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Shows willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques to improve department or the cooperative
- Professionalism and ability to adapt in diverse environment to maintain a positive work environment.
- Creates opportunities or minimizes potential problems by anticipating an preparing for these in advance
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding a “we versus them” attitude
- Knowledge of employment and benefit laws and regulations
- Fulfills commitments made to peers, co-workers and supervisors
- Skills required to interpret laws and regulations and to formulate compliance policies and practices
- Proficient in use of computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
AVEC provides a stellar benefit package and a competitive salary, salary is DOE. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening are required.
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Default Category (MUST BE CHECKED)
- Until Filled