Field Technician – Bethel
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving residents in 58 locations throughout rural Alaska with its headquarters in Anchorage, AK. The communities that AVEC serves receive power via small, isolated grids that utilize diesel generation and renewable sources. AVEC serves the rural Alaska communities with 11,513 meters, 515 miles of distribution line.
The cooperative offers an excellent benefit package and salary will be commensurate with experience. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Contact Alaska Village Electric Cooperative for the full job description or more information.
Position: Field Technician
Department: Bethel Operations
Location: Bethel, AK
This position involves stressful situations arising out of power outages and scheduling and will require long hours on both a daily and weekly basis. Correct operational problems and perform maintenance and repair on the distribution system and power plants. Maintain good relations with the village council and member-owners and build their understanding and confidence in AVEC’s value, mission and goals.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform assigned duties under the supervision of the Bethel Operations Manager and Journeyman Lineman
- Install customer service drops
- Operate power line equipment such as bucket truck, digger truck, front end loader and reel trailer
- Construct and maintain distribution pole line
- Requirement to climb poles, scaffolds, ladders and tanks while using utmost care to prevent injury
- Perform other duties as assigned
High School Diploma (or equivalent)
2+ Years of Diesel and Electrical experience, Some mechanic knowledge to service line equipment
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to read, interpret and follow documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
- Reliable, dependable and capable of working with minimum supervision
- Ability to work with multicultural and multilingual consumers and individuals requiring great patience and consistently calm emotional demeanor while in circumstances of severe climate conditions
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Shows willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques to improve department or the cooperativet
- Knowledge about safety rules and requirements for the trade
- Resourceful in using available and makeshift equipment, and in facing rough terrain and adverse weather conditions
- Able to use standard office equipment including telephone and fax machine
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- May be exposed to adverse weather conditions, cold and icy conditions.
- Working with and around high voltage power lines.
- Use of personal protective equipment required.
- Sitting, bending, climbing stairs and ladders.
- Heavy lifting up to 70lbs.
- Frequent use of hands and fingers and/or handles tools.
Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and background check are required.
AVEC requires all applicants to submit an application. A PDF application can be found under jobs.
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
AVEC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
- Until Filled