Come for the job…stay for the challenge and let us WOW you with our benefits.
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving residents in 58 locations throughout rural Alaska with its headquarters in Anchorage, AK. The communities that AVEC serves receive power via small, isolated grids that utilize diesel generation and renewable sources. AVEC serves the rural Alaska communities with 11,513 meters, 515 miles of distribution line.
The Engineering Manager is responsible for and supervises all engineering functions for AVEC including implementing engineering work plans, directing day to day activities of the Engineering Department and coordinating with contractors to meet the present and future needs of the Cooperative with minimum cost and maximum reliability of service and efficiency.
Benefits and Pay
- Range starts at $123,387 and salary will be commensurate with experience.
- The cooperative offers an excellent benefit package to include:
- A defined benefit pension plan
- 401k with an employer match
- Generous leave
- Two different health insurance plans, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Flex schedule
- Monthly employee luncheons
Position: Engineering Manager
Location: Anchorage, AK
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs all engineering functions from conceptual design through procurement, construction, inspection commissioning and maintenance of facilities.
- Selects, trains, and manages personnel in Engineering Department.
- Maximizes the efficiency of the Engineering Department by following data metrics and keeping projects on schedule and within budget.
- Verifies the accuracy of the work performed and the methods used by engineering staff.
- Directs the preparation of work orders and ensures the completion of all work order design.
- Performs engineering calculations and provides engineering design drawings and specifications.
- Develops recommendations for improving power generation and distribution efficiency.
- Works with the Operations Manager to develop and establish cost estimates for multi-year construction work plan and priorities.
- Inspects facilities and provides inspection reports with detailed action items for corrections and improvements.
- Builds relationships and provides information to outside agencies as required, i.e., Alaska Energy Authority, Rural Utilities Service, Alaska Public Utilities Commission, FEMA, FERC and DEC.
- Prepares system study reports, capital construction planning documents, cost-benefit analysis and construction specifications.
- Stays current with and applies new industry standards, techniques, and technologies.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline.
- Alaska Professional Engineering license or be able to obtain within one year of hire.
- Two years supervisory experience.
- Four years of relevant electric utility engineering experience in design, inspection, or construction.
- Proven experience in Microsoft Software Applications.
- Employee must be insurable by the Cooperative insurance company at standard insurance rates, the individual must maintain a driving record during all periods of employment which permits insurability at standard insurance rates, and the individual must be willing to consent to release of information regarding his/her driving record on an annual basis.
- Must be able to travel, as required.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, management, consultants, Board Members and external agencies.
- Excellent prioritization and organization skills.
- Strong understanding of power generation and power distribution design.
- Strong understanding of small, isolated power grids.
- Knowledgeable of project management and working conditions in rural Alaska.
- Proficient with RUS construction specifications.
- Budgeting and financial analysis experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; uses advanced techniques, theory, precepts and practices to complete complex project assignments.
- Possess strong project management experience.
- Must be detail and accuracy oriented
- Ability to write grammatically correct business correspondence, procedures and routine reports.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to be a strategic thinker that understands the long-term objectives and strategic construction plans for the organization.
Work is performed in a standard office environment and some travel to remote sites may be required.
Please complete an application and return to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Once applications are reviewed, you will be contacted if an interview is desired.
Contact Alaska Village Electric Cooperative for more information or a full job description.
Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and background check are required.
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job.
AVEC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
- Until Filled