Electrical Engineer, PE
Position: Electrical Engineer
Location: Anchorage, AK
Wage Range: 13
Supervisor: Manager of Engineering
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving 58 villages in Alaska, is seeking a Electrical Engineer, PE.
This position will design electrical power generation and distribution facilities for isolated utility power systems in rural Alaskan communities, produce design drawings, specifications and procurement documents for construction and provide technical support for facility construction and maintenance.
- Develop engineering calculations, design drawings and project specifications for utility construction and maintenance projects
- Design prime power generation installations to operate under minimal supervision with automated and non-automated switchgear for remote isolated power grids.
- Design supervisory control and data acquisition systems with communication systems to automate plant processes and provide remote monitoring.
- Design, analyze and maintain machine language programs.
- Analyze power distribution and generation systems for capacity, load balance, system protection coordination and arc flash analysis.
- Integrate distributed renewable generation facilities to operate on small isolated grids, maximizing generating efficiency and maintaining power quality.
- Design overhead and underground power distribution facilities.
- Maintain accurate system drawings and engineering records.
- Provide technical and project support for construction and maintenance of Cooperative facilities.
- Inspect and test completed work and certify compliance with design standards
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Engineering Manager.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree – Engineering or related field
Certification: Professional Engineer License, registered in the State of Alaska or able to obtain Alaska license within 6 months of employment.
Experience: 5+ years at similar complexity or responsibility
Areas of Experience: Technical competence in electrical power generation and distribution systems with strong communication and organizational skills.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate clearly and accurately orally and in writing
Interpersonal skills sufficient to establish trust and credibility internally and externally
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Professionalism and ability to adapt in diverse environment to maintain a positive work environment.
- Creates opportunities or minimizes potential problems by anticipating an preparing for these in advance
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding a “we versus them” attitude
- Knowledge of employment and benefit laws and regulations
- Skills required to interpret laws and regulations and to formulate compliance policies and practices
- Proficient in use of computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
AVEC provides a stellar benefit package and a competitive salary, salary is DOE. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening are required.
- Default Category (MUST BE CHECKED)
- Until Filled