Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving 58 villages in Alaska, is seeking a Payroll & Benefits Specialist.
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Position: Payroll & Benefit Specialist
Department: Employee Relations
Location: Anchorage, AK
Wage Range: 6
Travel: less than 10%
Supervisor: Manager of Administrative Services
Responsibilities include accurate and timely execution of payroll and associated deductions, processes, and reconciliation; administration of compensation and benefits programs and policies; wellness program administration; upkeep of employment records; Worker’s Compensation paperwork and compliance; assists with employee recognition programs; and ensures compliance with applicable employment and benefits laws, regulations, and reporting.
- Execute biweekly payroll process, including associated tax and contributory obligations and reporting requirements.
- Administers compensation and benefits programs and associated polices.
- Assists in the hiring process. Post open positions internally and externally, tracks applicants, prepares applicant packets for managers, schedules pre employment drug testing, conducts background checks, schedules post offer physicals, and prepare orientation packets.
- Updates and maintains HR postings in the facility.
- Develops, coordinates, and documents employee wellness programs.
- Responsible for the maintenance of employment files in accordance with company needs and governmental and regulatory requirements.
- Ensures compliance with current federal and state laws and regulations related to employment and benefits and coordinates associated compliance activity.
- Responsible for compliance and administration of policies and procedures related to Workers’ Compensation regulations and OSHA reporting of accidents and illnesses.
- Abides by and maintains compliance with HIPAA laws and regulations.
- Administers AVEC’s drug testing program in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assists with employee recognition programs.
- Assists with employee communications programs.
- Perform other duties and special assignments required to meet the needs of the Cooperative.
Education: AA/Two Year Degree preferred
Certification: Certified Payroll Professional preferred
Experience: 2 years at similar complexity or responsibility
Areas of Experience:
Experience in processing a full charge in-house payroll process of similar complexity; Experience with payroll accounting, balancing, and reconciliation to include biweekly processing requirements, monthly & quarterly balancing, and yearend reporting and reconciliation; Experience administering benefits to include health insurance, life insurance, 401(k), pension, Workman’s Compensation, LTD, and wellness, as well as compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate clearly and accurately orally and in writing
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to establish trust and credibility internally and externally
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Professionalism and ability to adapt in diverse environment to maintain a positive work environment.
- Creates opportunities or minimizes potential problems by anticipating an preparing for these in advance
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding a “we versus them” attitude
- Knowledge of employment and benefit laws and regulations
- Skills required to interpret laws and regulations and to formulate compliance policies and practices
- Proficient in use of computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
AVEC provides a stellar benefit package and a competitive salary, salary is DOE. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening are required. Submit completed application and resume to Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., 4831 Eagle Street, Anchorage, AK 99503-7497. Click HERE to download an application.
No Power Outages
Currently, there are no known or scheduled power outages in our service areas.
If you are experiencing a power outage or see a downed power line, please call our 24 hour emergency line at (907) 561-1818