CREATE ACCOUNT

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Communities

AVEC helps deliver reliable electric power to many Alaskan communities

If you have troubles selecting a community from the map, you can select a community from the list below.

Yakutat - Yakutat is isolated among the lowlands along the Gulf of Alaska, 225 miles northwest of Juneau, 220 miles southeast of Cordova and more than 1,000 miles from Gambell, our western-most community. It is located at the mouth of Yakutat Bay, one of the few refuges for vessels along this stretch of coast. The Hubbard and... [read more]
Alakanuk - Alakanuk is a Yup’ik word meaning “wrong way,” aptly applied to a village on this maze of watercourses. The village was first reported by G.R. Putnam of the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey in 1899. It was originally settled by a Yup’ik shaman named Anguksuar and his family. A Catholic mission school was built near... [read more]
Ambler - Ambler is located on the north bank of the Kobuk River, near the confluence of the Ambler and the Kobuk Rivers. It lies 45 miles north of the Arctic Circle. It is 138 miles northeast of Kotzebue, 30 miles northwest of Kobuk and 30 miles downriver from Shungnak.Ambler is named after Dr. James M. Ambler,... [read more]
Andreafsky - Andreafsky is adjacent to and within the city boundaries of St. Mary’s. It is on the north bank of the Andreafsky River, 3.5 miles northeast of Pitka’s Point in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. By 1899, the village had become a supply depot and winter quarters for the Northern Commercial Company’s riverboat fleet. The village was named... [read more]
Anvik - Anvik is located in Interior Alaska on the Anvik River, west of the Yukon River, 34 miles north of Holy Cross. Anvik has historically been an Ingalik Indian village. It has been known as American Station, Anvic, Anvick, Anvig, Anvig Station, and Anwig. The Russian Glazanov reported it having 100 people in 1834. Originally it was... [read more]
Bethel - Bethel is located at the mouth of the Kuskokwim River, 40 miles inland from the Bering Sea. It lies in the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge, 400 air miles west of Anchorage. Accessible only by air and river, Bethel is the main port on the Kuskokwim River and is an administrative and transportation hub for... [read more]
Brevig Mission - Brevig Mission is located at the mouth of Shelman Creek on Port Clarence, 5 miles northwest of Teller and 65 miles northwest of Nome. The Kauwerak Eskimos in this area lived in migratory communities in pursuit of hunting and fishing grounds, and traded furs with Siberia, Little Diomede and King Island. They formed alliances with... [read more]
Chevak - Chevak is located on the north bank of the Niglikfak River, 17 miles east of Hooper Bay in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.  Eskimos have inhabited the region for thousands of years. Chevak is also known as New Chevak because residents inhabited another village called Chevak before 1950. “Old” Chevak, on the north bank of the Keoklevik... [read more]
Eek - Eek lies on the south bank of the Eek River, 12 miles east of the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. It is 35 air miles south of Bethel in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, and 420 miles west of Anchorage. The village was originally located on the Apokok River, and moved to its present location in the... [read more]
Ekwok - Ekwok is located along the Nushagak River, 43 miles northeast of Dillingham and 285 miles southwest of Anchorage. Ekwok is located in the Bristol Bay Recording District. The area encompasses 16.0 sq. miles of land and 1.4 sq. miles of water. Aerial view of the community. The power plant and bulk fuel tanks.... [read more]
Elim - Elim is located on the northwest shore of Norton Bay on the Seward Peninsula, 96 miles east of Nome. It lies 460 miles northwest of Anchorage. This settlement was formerly the Malemiut Inupiat Eskimo village of Nuviakchak. The Native culture was well-developed and well adapted to the environment. Each tribe possessed a well-defined subsistence harvest... [read more]
Emmonak - Emmonak is located at the mouth of the Yukon River, 10 miles from the Bering Sea, on the north bank of Kwiguk Pass. It lies 120 air miles northwest of Bethel and 490 air miles from Anchorage, in the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge.The village was originally called “Kwiguk,” a Yup’ik word meaning “big stream.”... [read more]
Gambell - Gambell is located on the northwest cape of St. Lawrence Island, 200 miles southwest of Nome, in the Bering Sea. The City is 36 miles from the Chukotsk Peninsula, Siberia. St. Lawrence Island has been inhabited intermittently for the past 2,000 years by Yup’ik Eskimos. In the 18th and 19th centuries, over 4,000 people inhabited... [read more]
Goodnews Bay - The community is located on the north shore of Goodnews Bay at the mouth of Goodnews River. It is 116 air miles south of Bethel, 110 miles northwest of Dillingham and 400 miles west of Anchorage. Yup’ik Eskimos called this village “Mumtraq,” which was moved to its present location due to constant flooding and storms... [read more]
Grayling - Grayling is located in Interior Alaska on the west bank of the Yukon River east of the Nulato Hills. It is 18 air miles north of Anvik. In 1900, the U.S. Revenue steamer Nunivak reported 75 inhabitants, a store and a large woodyard to supply steamers. Between 1962 and 1966, 25 families moved from Holikachuk... [read more]
Holy Cross - Holy Cross is located in Interior Alaska on the west bank of Ghost Creek Slough off the Yukon River. It is 40 miles northwest of Aniak and 420 miles southwest of Fairbanks. Holy Cross is located in the Kuskokwim Recording District. Holy Cross first had contact with Europeans in the early 1840s, when Russian explorers... [read more]
Hooper Bay - Hooper Bay is located 20 miles south of Cape Romanzof, 25 miles south of Scammon Bay in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. The city is separated into two sections: a heavily built-up townsite located on gently rolling hills, and a newer section in the lowlands. Hooper Bay is located 500 miles west of Anchorage. “Askinuk” or “Askinaghamiut”... [read more]
Huslia - Huslia is located on the north bank of the Koyukuk River, about 170 river miles northwest of Galena and 290 air miles west of Fairbanks. It lies within the Koyukuk National Wildlife Refuge. The Koyukon Athabascans lived between the south fork of the Koyukuk River and the Kateel River. They had spring, summer, fall, and... [read more]
Kaltag - This Athabascan community on the Lower Yukon, between Galena and Unalakleet, traces its heritage to a time well before the Russian explorers, the Alaska Purchase and the gold rush era. Nestled at the base of the Nulato Hills the territory surrounding modern day Kaltag has long been popular for hunting and fishing camps. Even today,... [read more]
Kasigluk - Kasigluk is on the Johnson River in the Kuskokwim River Delta, 26 miles northwest of Bethel. The community is comprised of Old and New Kasigluk, surrounded by the Johnson River and a network of lakes. It is an Eskimo village listed as one of the “Tundra Villages” in the 1939 U.S. Census, with a population... [read more]
Kiana - Kiana is located on the north bank of the Kobuk River, 57 air miles east of Kotzebue. Kiana means “a place where three rivers meet.” It was established long ago as the central village of the Kobuk River Kowagmiut Inupiat Eskimos. In 1909, it became a supply center for the Squirrel River placer mines. A... [read more]
Kivalina - Kivalina is at the tip of an eight-mile barrier reef located between the Chukchi Sea and Kivalina River. It lies 80 air miles northwest of Kotzebue. The area encompasses 1.9 sq. miles of land and 2.0 sq. miles of water. Kivalina has long been a stopping-off place for seasonal travelers between arctic coastal areas and... [read more]
Kotlik - Kotlik is located on the east bank of the Kotlik Slough, 35 miles northeast of Emmonak in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 165 air miles northwest of Bethel, and 460 miles from Anchorage. Kotlik is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 3.8 sq. miles of land and 0.8 sq. miles of water.  ... [read more]
Koyuk - Koyuk is located at the mouth of the Koyuk River, at the northeastern end of Norton Bay on the Seward Peninsula, 90 air miles northeast of Nome. The site of “Iyatayet” on Cape Denbigh to the south has traces of early man that are 6,000 to 8,000 years old. The villagers were historically nomadic. Lt.... [read more]
Marshall - Marshall is located on the north bank of Polte Slough, north of Arbor Island, on the east bank of the Yukon River in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies on the northeastern boundary of the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge. An expedition came upon an Eskimo village at this site in 1880, called “Uglovaia.” Gold was... [read more]
Mekoryuk - Mekoryuk is at the mouth of Shoal Bay on the north shore of Nunivak Island in the Bering Sea. The Island lies 30 miles off the coast. It is 149 air miles west of Bethel and 553 miles west of Anchorage. Mekoryuk is part of the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge. Nunivak Island has been... [read more]
Minto - Minto is located on the west bank of the Tolovana River, 130 miles northwest of Fairbanks. It lies on an 11-mile spur road off of the Elliott Highway. Minto is in the western-most portion of traditional Tanana Athabascan territory. During the late 1800s, some members of the Minto band traveled to Tanana, Rampart and Fort... [read more]
Mt. Village - Mountain Village is on the north bank of the Yukon River, approximately 20 miles west of St. Mary’s and 470 miles northwest of Anchorage. It is at the foot of the 500′ Azachorok Mountain, the first mountain encountered by those traveling up the Yukon. Mountain Village was a summer fish camp until the opening of... [read more]
New Stuyahok - New Stuyahok is located on the Nushagak River, about 12 miles upriver from Ekwok and 52 miles northeast of Dillingham. The village has been constructed at two elevations — one 25 feet above river level, and one about 40 feet above river level. The present location is the third site that villagers can remember. The... [read more]
Nightmute - Nightmute is located on Nelson Island, in western Alaska. It is 18 miles upriver from Toksook Bay and 100 miles west of Bethel. Nelson has been inhabited by the Qaluyaarmiut, or “dip net people,” for 2,000 years. The area was relatively isolated from outside contact, and has kept its traditions and culture. Umkumiut is the... [read more]
Noatak - Noatak is located on the west bank of the Noatak River, 55 miles north of Kotzebue and 70 miles north of the Arctic Circle. This is the only settlement on the 396 mile-long Noatak River, just west of the 66-million acre Noatak National Preserve. It was established as a fishing and hunting camp in the... [read more]
Noorvik - Noorvik is located on the right bank of the Nazuruk Channel of the Kobuk River, 33 miles northwest of Selawik and 45 miles east of Kotzebue. The village is downriver from the 1.7-million acre Kobuk Valley National Park. Noorvik means “a place that is moved to.” The village was established by Kowagmuit Inupiat Eskimo fishermen... [read more]
Nulato - Nulato is located on the west bank of the Yukon River, 35 miles west of Galena and 310 air miles west of Fairbanks. It lies in the Nulato Hills, across the River from the Innoko National Wildlife Refuge. The Koyukon Athabascans traditionally had spring, summer, fall, and winter camps, and moved as the wild game... [read more]
Nunapitchuk - Nunapitchuk is located on the both banks of the Johnson River, 22 miles northwest of Bethel in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It is an Eskimo village first listed in the 1939 U.S. Census with a population of 121. The community was incorporated as a second class city in 1969. During the 1970 U.S. Census, Nunapitchuk and... [read more]
Old Harbor -  Old Harbor is located on the southeast coast of Kodiak Island, 70 miles southwest of the City of Kodiak and 322 miles southwest of Anchorage. The area around Old Harbor is thought to have been inhabited for nearly 2,000 years. The area was visited by the Russian Grigori Shelikov and his “Three Saints” flagship in... [read more]
Pitkas Pt - Pitkas Point is located near the junction of the Yukon and Andreafsky Rivers, 5 miles northwest of St. Mary’s on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 3 miles by road from the St. Mary’s airport. Eskimos who first settled there called it “Nigiklik,” a Yup’ik word meaning “to the north.” It was first reported in 1898... [read more]
Pilot Station - Pilot Station is located on the northwest bank of the Yukon River, 11 miles east of St. Mary’s and 26 miles west of Marshall on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. The village was first called “Ankachak,” and later was moved one-third of a mile upriver to a site called “Potiliuk.” The old village site of Kurgpallermuit is... [read more]
Quinhagak - Quinhagak is on the Kanektok River on the east shore of Kuskokwim Bay, less than a mile from the Bering Sea coast. It lies 71 miles southwest of Bethel. The Yup’ik name is Kuinerraq, meaning “new river channel.” Quinhagak is a long-established village whose origin has been dated to 1,000 A.D. It was the first... [read more]
Russian Mission - Russian Mission is located on the west bank of the Yukon River in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, 25 miles southeast of Marshall. It lies 70 air miles northeast of Bethel and 376 miles west of Anchorage. The first Russian American Company fur trading post on the Yukon Riverwas established here in 1837. The settlement was recorded... [read more]
Savoonga - Savoonga is located on the northern coast of St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea, 164 miles west of Nome. It lies 39 miles southeast of Gambell. St. Lawrence Island has been inhabited intermittently for the past 2,000 years by Yup’ik Eskimos. The island had numerous villages with a total population of around 4,000 by... [read more]
Scammon Bay - Scammon Bay is on the south bank of the Kun River, one mile from the Bering Sea. It lies to the north of the 2,300-foot Askinuk Mountains on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It was known in Eskimo as “Mariak,” and its residents were called “Mariagamiut.” The nearby Bay was named after Capt. Charles Scammon, who served... [read more]
Selawik - Selawik is located at the mouth of the Selawik River where it empties into Selawik Lake, about 90 miles east of Kotzebue. It lies 670 miles northwest of Anchorage. The City is near the Selawik National Wildlife Refuge, a key breeding and resting spot for migratory waterfowl. Lt. L.A. Zagoskin of the Imperial Russian Navy... [read more]
Shageluk - Shageluk is located on the east bank of the Innoko River, approximately 20 miles east of Anvik and 34 miles northeast of Holy Cross. The Innoko is a tributary of the Yukon River. Shageluk is an Ingalik Indian village first reported as “Tie’goshshitno” in 1850 by Lt. Zagoskin of the Russian Navy. In 1861, a... [read more]
Shaktoolik - Shaktoolik is located on the east shore of Norton Sound. It lies 125 miles east of Nome and 33 miles north of Unalakleet. Shaktoolik was the first and southernmost Malemiut settlement onNorton Sound, occupied as early as 1839. Twelve miles northeast, on Cape Denbigh, is “Iyatayet,” a site that is 6,000 to 8,000 years old.... [read more]
Shishmaref - Shishmaref is located on Sarichef Island, in the Chukchi Sea, just north of Bering Strait. Shishmaref is five miles from the mainland, 126 miles north of Nome and 100 miles southwest of Kotzebue. The village is surrounded by the 2.6 million-acre Bering Land Bridge National Reserve. It is part of the Beringian National Heritage Park,... [read more]
Shungnak - Shungnak is located on the west bank of the Kobuk River about 150 miles east of Kotzebue. The original settlement was 10 miles further upstream at Kobuk. Shungnak was founded in 1899 as a supply point for mining activities in the Cosmos Hills, this Inupiat Eskimo village was forced to move in the 1920s because... [read more]
St. Marys - St. Mary’s is located on the north bank of the Andreafsky River, 5 miles from its confluence with the Yukon River. It lies 450 air miles west-northwest of Anchorage. The City of St. Mary’s encompasses the Yup’ik villages of St. Mary’s and Andreafsky. In 1899, Andreafsky was established as a supply depot and winter headquarters... [read more]
St. Michael - St. Michael is located on the east coast of St. Michael Island in Norton Sound. It lies 125 miles southeast of Nome and 48 miles southwest of Unalakleet. A fortified trading post called “Redoubt St. Michael” was built by the Russian-American Company at this location in 1833; it was the northernmost Russian settlement in Alaska.... [read more]
Stebbins -  Stebbins is located on the northwest coast of St. Michael Island, on Norton Sound. It lies 8 miles north of St. Michael and 120 miles southeast of Nome. Redoubt St. Michael was built at nearby St. Michael by the Russian-American Company in 1833. The Eskimo village of “Atroik” or “Atowak” was recorded north of here... [read more]
Teller - Teller is located on a spit between Port Clarence and Grantley Harbor, 72 miles northwest of Nome, on the Seward Peninsula. The Eskimo fishing camp called “Nook” was reported 20 miles south of Teller in 1827. A Western Union Telegraph expedition wintered at the present site in 1866 and 1867; it was then called “Libbyville”... [read more]
Togiak - Togiak is located at the head of Togiak Bay, 67 miles west of Dillingham. It lies in Togiak National Wildlife Refuge, and is the gateway to Walrus Island Game Sanctuary. In 1880, “Old Togiak,” or “Togiagamute,” was located across the Bay, and had a population of 276. Heavy winter snowfalls made wood-gathering difficult at Old... [read more]
Toksook Bay - Toksook Bay is one of three villages located on Nelson Island, which lies 115 miles northwest of Bethel. It is on Kangirlvar Bay across the water from Nunivak Island. Tununak is about 8 miles to the northwest. The area has been inhabited and utilized by Yup’ik Eskimos for thousands of years. Toksook Bay was established... [read more]
Tununak - Tununak is located in a small bay on the northeast coast of Nelson Island, 115 miles northwest of Bethel and 519 miles northwest of Anchorage. Nelson Island was named after Edward Nelson in 1878, a Smithsonian naturalist who noted 6 people, including 1 non-Native trader, living in Tununak. In 1889 the Jesuits opened a small... [read more]
Wales - Wales is located on Cape Prince of Wales, at the western tip of the Seward Peninsula, 111 miles northwest of Nome. A burial mound of the “Birnirk” culture (500 A.D. to 900 A.D.) was discovered near Wales and is now a national landmark. In 1827 the Russian Navy reported the Eskimo villages of “Eidamoo” near... [read more]
TOP
Skip to toolbar