Job Opening: System/Network Administrator
FLSA: NON EXEMPT
Location: Anchorage, AK
Schedule: M-F, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Travel: less than 10%
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., a generation and distribution utility serving 57 villages in Alaska, is seeking a System/Network Administrator in Anchorage, AK. This position is responsible for maintain, support and optimize all local and wide area network infrastructures including corporate servers, associated software and communication links. Troubleshoot network performance, analyze network traffic and provide capacity planning solutions and follow secure network protocols.
Education Requirements: AA/Two Year Degree Degree Computer Technology or related
Experience: 5 years
Preferred Certification(s): MCSE/CCNA
Education Substitution: High School Diploma plus 10 years of directly related experience in of similar complexity can substitute for the AA/ Two Year Degree specification requirement.
Areas of Experience: Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in a broad range of information systems and platforms including WAN/LAN administration, system security, backup/recovery, and user support; Extensive experience with Windows Operating Systems, LAN & WAN, E-business knowledge; Extensive experience and knowledge of VMWARE systems, infrastructure and virtualization concepts; Working knowledge of PC applications, hardware, software and peripherals; Familiarity with AS400/Client Access systems; Experience researching, testing and presenting preliminary selections and adaptations of technological alternatives for cooperative software and processing needs.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent communication skills, must communicate clearly and accurately orally and in writing
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to establish trust and credibility internally and externally
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Professionalism and ability to adapt in diverse environment to maintain a positive work environment.
- Creates opportunities or minimizes potential problems by anticipating an preparing for these in advance
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding a “we versus them” attitude
- Knowledge of software, hardware and communications equipment.
- Knowledge of network administration and maintenance
- Ability to troubleshoot PC and user related problems.
- Extensive knowledge of corporate Domain systems and environments, Active Directory structures, user account security protocols, security of file structures, DHCP, DNS, routing, switching, protocols, Ethernet standards, LAN, WAN, TCP/IP Stack, IP phone interfaces, SQL server, Exchange Server, firewalls/intrusion prevention hardware and software and associated industry standards.
- Knowledge of backup systems, tape, disk and cloud based.
- Knowledge of Cisco and other routers.
- Extensive knowledge of all Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Extensive knowledge of VMWARE systems, methodologies and procedures including VDI across LAN or WAN, EqualLogic storage systems and their management.
- Knowledge of anti-virus software, firewalls, intrusion detection systems and other industry network security measures.
- Extensive knowledge of all Microsoft Operating systems
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening as well as a background check are required.Interested applicants must submit a completed application to email@example.com or mail to:
Human Resources Department
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc.
4831 Eagle St. Anchorage, Alaska 99503
To download AVEC’s Employment Application click HERE.
This position is open until filled Wages: DOE AVEC IS an EOE.
No Power Outages
Currently, there are no known or scheduled power outages in our service areas.
If you are experiencing a power outage or see a downed power line, please call our 24 hour emergency line at (907) 561-1818