Maintenance Technician I – Generation
Maintenance Technician I
Headquarters: Anchorage, AK
FLSA: Non Exempt
Travel: >90% within Rural Alaska
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc. has an opening for a Maintenance Technician I
This position will organize, assist, direct and perform construction work on-site required to serve member villages with electrical energy through a diesel generation and distribution system.
Principal Tasks and Duties
- Performs duties and assigned tasks at the direction of the Operations Manager.
- The incumbent will perform complex maintenance skills in major overhauls and repairs, replacement of parts, assemblies and preventative maintenance, such as dismantling, examining and replacing defective parts as necessary, fabricate or improvise temporary replacement.
- Instruct AVEC Plant Operators in the proper operation and maintenance procedures of electrical power plans and power distribution systems, including necessary forms required for information and upkeep of a power plant and safety rules.
- Repair and perform necessary corrective and preventive maintenance to the power plant building, fuel tank farm and distribution systems.
- Be capable of general familiarity and perform elementary repairs to electrical distribution systems. Take on more complex tasks on distribution systems as knowledge and experience is improved.
- Perform inspections, maintenance and major modifications, handle complex troubleshooting and repair situations and perform complete major overhauls without outside assistance involving diesel engines from 25 to 1,000 hp and regulated generators from 15 to 750 KW.
- Bench check repairable components and subassemblies. Determine the extent of repair/rebuild and accomplish the same. Inspect completed or “in progress” work to assure compliance with standard procedures and technical publications. Direct, supervise and inspect work of Maintenance Technicians I apprentice who may be assigned to assist in overhaul of component assemblies.
- May be required to assist in construction and engineering projects.
- Will repair on/off road mobile equipment used in support of AVEC’s projects.
- The incumbent is required to complete all required forms, reports and other necessary paperwork in a timely manner as directed.
- Must safeguard, protect and assure the proper use of all AVEC funds and/or property, including monies received of members for transportation to the central office, travel requests, purchase order books, tools and materials.
- Must employ sound judgment in selecting modes of transportation and weigh carefully all costs before using charter service.
- Must be reliable, dependable and fully cable of working independently on complex assignments and supervise other employees after a short indoctrination to the system.
- Assists in the inspection of village systems and is alert and reports safety hazards to the Utility Board, Plant Operator or AVEC staff and corrects as soon as possible.
- Particularly alert to avoid any environmental damage, oil spills or similar mishaps.
- The incumbent works in a safe manner and insures the property of others or the Cooperative is not damaged.
- Complies with, and insures others comply with, all aspects of the OSHA for work performed.
- The incumbent may be required to take a written and/or oral test to establish the level of job knowledge prior to upgrading.
- Employee must be insurable by the Cooperative insurance company at standard insurance rates, the individual must maintain a driving record during all periods of employment which permits insurability at standard insurance rates, and the individual must be willing to consent to release of information regarding his/her driving record on an annual basis.
- The incumbent will perform other duties and special assignments as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Requirement(s): High School Diploma (or equivalent)
Experience Requirement(s): 1+ years of Diesel and Electrical experience (or equivalent)
AVEC provides a stellar benefit package and a competitive salary, salary is DOE. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening, background check as well as a post-offer physical are required.
Interested applicants must submit a completed application to email@example.com or mail to:
Human Resources Department
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc.
4831 Eagle St.
Anchorage, Alaska 99503
To download AVEC’s Employment Application click HERE.
Closing Date: This position is open until filled
Other: At least 18 years of age
AVEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No Power Outages
Currently, there are no known or scheduled power outages in our service areas.
If you are experiencing a power outage or see a downed power line, please call our 24 hour emergency line at (907) 561-1818