Headquarters: Anchorage, AK
FLSA: Non Exempt
Travel: >90% within Rural Alaska
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc. has an opening for a Lineman.
To organize and direct construction work on site required to serve member villages with electrical energy through a diesel generation and distribution system.
- To instruct villagers during the construction period in use of equipment, methods and safe practices involved in construction.
- To correct operational problems and perform maintenance and repair on the distribution system and power plants.
- To maintain good relations with the village council and member-owners and build their understanding and confidence in AVEC’s value, mission and goals.
Principal Tasks and Duties
- Receives plans and work assignments from the Line Superintendent, checks that materials are on site, and on equipment availability, prior to departure for site.
- Checks that necessary materials, supplies and equipment are available on site, takes action to meet needs.
- Installs and retires power distribution systems (de-energized only). No work performed on energized systems.
- Corrects operational problems and performs preventive maintenance and repair on distribution systems and diesel plants (if possible) while on construction projects or as assigned.
- Instructs workers on proper use of all equipment, material, handling of cable, and of safe work practices.
- Prepares necessary trip reports on assigned projects and other general reports as necessary.
- Works in a safe manner and insures the property of others or other Cooperative equipment is not damaged.
- Complies with all aspects of the OSHA (Occupational Safety Health Standards).
- Makes every effort to avoid any environmental damage, oil spills or similar mishaps and take prompt containment and cleanup action if mishaps come to their attention.
- Intermittent requirement to supervise village helpers.
- Employee must be insurable by the Cooperative insurance company at standard insurance rates, the individual must maintain a driving record during all periods of employment which permits insurability at standard insurance rates, and the individual must be willing to consent to release of information regarding his/her driving record on an annual basis.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education Requirement(s): High School Diploma (or equivalent)
AVEC provides a stellar benefit package and a competitive salary, salary is DOE. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening, background check as well as a post-offer physical are required.
Interested applicants must submit a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Human Resources Department
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc.
4831 Eagle St.
Anchorage, Alaska 99503
To download AVEC’s Employment Application click HERE.
Closing Date: This position is open until filled
Other: At least 18 years of age
AVEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No Power Outages
Currently, there are no known or scheduled power outages in our service areas.
If you are experiencing a power outage or see a downed power line, please call our 24 hour emergency line at (907) 561-1818