Russian Mission is located on the west bank of the Yukon River in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, 25 miles southeast of Marshall. It lies 70 air miles northeast of Bethel and 376 miles west of Anchorage. The first Russian American Company fur trading post on the Yukon Riverwas established here in 1837. The settlement was recorded as an Eskimo village called “Ikogmiut,” meaning “people of the point,” in 1842 by the Russian explorer Zagoskin. The first Russian Orthodox mission in Interior Alaska was established here in 1857 by the Russian-Aleut priest Jacob Netzuetov. The mission was called “Pokrovskaya Mission,” and the village name was changed to Russian Mission in 1900. It was often confused with another village on the Kuskokwim called “Russian Mission.” This village was renamed Chuathbaluk. The City was incorporated in 1970.
Aerial view of the village.