FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Old Harbor

by / Sunday, 23 November 2014 / Published in

 Old Harbor is located on the southeast coast of Kodiak Island, 70 miles southwest of the City of Kodiak and 322 miles southwest of Anchorage. The area around Old Harbor is thought to have been inhabited for nearly 2,000 years. The area was visited by the Russian Grigori Shelikov and his “Three Saints” flagship in 1784. Three Saints Bay became the first Russian colony in Alaska. In 1788, a tsunami destroyed the settlement. Two more earthquakes struck before 1792. In 1793, the town relocated on the northeast coast to “Saint Paul’s,” now known as Kodiak. A settlement was reestablished at Three Saints Harbor in 1884. The town was recorded as “Staruigavan,” meaning “old harbor” in Russian. The present-day Natives are Alutiiq (Russian-Aleuts.) The Old Harbor post office was opened in 1931. In 1964, the Good Friday earthquake and resulting tsunami destroyed the community; only two homes and the church remained standing. The community was rebuilt in the same location. The City government was incorporated in 1966. A new meteorological (MET) tower was installed in September 2008 to collect wind data to determine the feasibility of potentially generating electric power from wind. Unfortunately it was determined that the wind regime wasn’t determined to be feasible. Phyllis Clough, AVEC’s secretary on the board of directors, lives in Old Harbor.

Old Harbor Aerial View

Aerial view of the village

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA New bulk fuel tank farm

Old Harbor Power PlantOriginal power plant

Old Harbor New EngineNewly-installed fuel-efficient engine

TOP