FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Marshall

by / Sunday, 23 November 2014 / Published in

Marshall is located on the north bank of Polte Slough, north of Arbor Island, on the east bank of the Yukon River in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies on the northeastern boundary of the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge. An expedition came upon an Eskimo village at this site in 1880, called “Uglovaia.” Gold was discovered on nearby Wilson Creek in 1913. “Fortuna Ledge” became a placer mining camp, named after the first child born at the camp, Fortuna Hunter. Its location on a channel of the Yukon River was convenient for riverboat landings. A post office was established in 1915, and the population grew to over 1,000. Later the village was named for Thomas Riley Marshall, Vice President of the United States under Woodrow Wilson from 1913-21. The community became known as “Marshall’s Landing.” When the village incorporated as a second-class city in 1970, it was named Fortuna Ledge, but was commonly referred to as Marshall. The name was officially changed to Marshall in 1984.

Marshall Power Plant

Original power plant

Marshall Tank Farm

Original tank farm

Marshall New Engine

New fuel-efficient engine

Marshall Street View

View of community

TOP