Kasigluk is on the Johnson River in the Kuskokwim River Delta, 26 miles northwest of Bethel. The community is comprised of Old and New Kasigluk, surrounded by the Johnson River and a network of lakes. It is an Eskimo village listed as one of the “Tundra Villages” in the 1939 U.S. Census, with a population of 66. A post office was established in 1962. It incorporated as a city in 1982, but was dissolved on Oct. 21, 1996 in favor of the traditional village council.
Thanks to funding received from the Denali Commission, a $14,500,000 project was recently undertaken called the “Nunapitchuk/Kasigluk (Akula Heights) Amalgamated Project.” The electric intertie between Nunapitchuk and Kasigluk was upgraded and a new power plant was installed at Akula Heights. Three Northwind 100 wind turbines with a generating capacity of 300 kW and a new bulk fuel tank have also been installed.