Eek lies on the south bank of the Eek River, 12 miles east of the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. It is 35 air miles south of Bethel in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, and 420 miles west of Anchorage. The village was originally located on the Apokok River, and moved to its present location in the 1930s. Constant flooding and erosion forced a relocation. A BIA school and a Moravian Church were constructed at the new site. A post office was established in 1949. The City was incorporated in 1970.
The City and Village have formed a joint Utility Commission, and a Master Plan is underway. Water is derived from Eek River, treated and stored in a tank. A few homes have tanks that provide running water to the kitchen; but houses do not have additional plumbing. Rain catchment systems and ice melt are also used for drinking water. Honeybuckets are collected by the City and disposed of in a sewage lagoon.