Ambler is located on the north bank of the Kobuk River, near the confluence of the Ambler and the Kobuk Rivers. It lies 45 miles north of the Arctic Circle. It is 138 miles northeast of Kotzebue, 30 miles northwest of Kobuk and 30 miles downriver from Shungnak.Ambler is named after Dr. James M. Ambler, U.S. Navy, surgeon on the U.S.S. Jeannette, who perished in 1881 in the Lena River delta while with the Arctic expedition under the command of Lt. Comdr. G.W. DeLong (1879-1880.) Ambler was permanently settled in 1958 when people from Shungnak and Kobuk moved upstream because of the variety of fish, wild game and spruce trees in the area. An archaeological site is located nearby at Onion Portage. A post office was established in 1963. The City was incorporated in 1971. AVEC’s longest-serving board member, Helena Jones, lives in Ambler.
Original power plant and tank farm